Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Easy Minestrone


Quick question: What's risotto? It's rice, right? Or is is pasta? Or is it just something Walmart doesn't carry?

Okay, I know we're almost out of soup season, but this one is from the Nigella Express cookbook (which is great by the way if you ever get a chance to pick it up) if you've never heard of her, google her. Gerald's sister, Kim, got it for Christmas so I stole a few recipes from her before she left and everything I've tried has been awesome! At the very least this soup provides a great base into which you can throw whatever other beans and veggies you have on hand. I've added green beans, corn, a can of tomaotes, etc. into it and everything's worked well. And it's SO easy....Here's her recipe though:

1 14 oz can mixed beans (sometimes sold as mixed bean salad)
3 cups hot chicken or vegetable stock
1 cup tomato-based pasta sauce of your choice
4 oz ditalini or other soup pasta

1. Drain the beans and put them into a saucepan with the hot stock and pasta sauce.
2. Bring the pan to a boil and then add the ditalini, cooking according to package instructions.
3. Once the pasta is tender, switch off the heat, remove the pan to a cool surface and let stand for 5-10 minutes if you can bear to wait. That pasta swells in the soup and everything just gets better.

Serves 2-3

5 comments:

shanna said...

I think it's rice but I sometimes get tricked into thinking it's pasta b/c I never think of rice when I think Italian. Anyway, thanks for the recipe. I will definitely use this one. It looks so easy!

Joc said...

Risotto is a type of rice, but I usually just think of it as a grain, cause it cooks so differently.

And I LOVE Nigella. I was first introduced to her about 5 yrs ago by my sister-in-law (who is the best cook that I know!) and she's awesome. I love her approach to cooking, and I'll definitely be trying this soon.

Jess said...

this does look good - and easy - my favorite way to cook. What is ditalini?

Tabitha said...

I'm excited to try this! I'm not much of a soup maker so this looks like a great way to build my confidence in this area. :)

Tabitha said...

Karen! I tried the soup tonight and LOVED it!! I had 2 bowls! Yummy ... thanks so much for sharing it!!