Thursday, February 14, 2008

buttery herb couscous


This was fun because I actually got to use some herbs from my garden. Poor things just sit in the backyard and somehow survive...I definitely don't have a green thumb. So while they are still alive I'm going to try and use them. Here's a recipe I like to use fresh herbs in.

2 T butter
2 cloves garlic - finely chopped
1 medium green onion (I use regular onion if I don't have any green onion on hand)
2/3 cup plain whole wheat couscous
1 1/3 cups chicken broth
2 t. fresh basil - chopped or 1 t. dried basil
1 t. fresh thyme - chopped or 1/4 t. dried thyme
2 T grated parmesan cheese

Melt butter in 2 quart saucepan over medium heat. Cook garlic and onion in butter 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in broth and salt; heat to boiling. Stir in couscous; remove from heat. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. Stir in basil, thyme and cheese.

1 comment:

Joc said...

Mmmm. This is a great side dish idea! I never think of couscous, but I love it.