Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Chicken and Broccoli


Well, thank you for the request, ironically, I just made it the other night, so this is what the leftovers look like!
I LOVE the website! I've had a ton of work to do lately and wasn't able to check it until today - it was overwhelming in a great way! It's a great reminder to make things I haven't made for awhile or to make things I've never thought of making. A little intimidating, though, I know how to pinch a penny and make it scream, but organic, wheat, and low-fat are generally not in my vocabulary. I'm trying to learn, though, to order the black bean soup at Panera instead of the cream of child and wild rice...and to occasionally buy low-fat sour cream or 1/3 fat cream cheese...Unfortunatley I still love whole milk and Gerald thinks butter is the other white meat. So, I think this website will help me to think things through more so thanks all!


Warning: This is neither a low-fat or organic meal


Okay, the measurements are from my mom's recipe which I don't use so I'll put what I do in parenthesis even though that's a little annoying. My mom's always tastes better, but I don't know if that's because it's actually better or because I didn't make it! Dinner always taste better when I didn't make, it seems. Life is kinda cruel like that.


4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I only use two - that's how I penny pinch!)

cook and cut into pieces

2 10 oz bags frozen broccoli florets (I just do enough to cover the bottom of a 9X13)

cooked, but not soft

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (whatever's enough to sprinkle on top)


Sauce: Combine 1 can cream of chicken soup, 3/4 cup mayo, and 1/2 tsp curry powder (I don't measure, just throw some in there and taste it, I probably do more like 1 tsp)


Place brocolli in 9X13 pan; layer bottom. Put chicken on top of brocolli. Spread sauce over top. Bake 20 minutes @ 350. Spread cheese on top and bake 10 more minutes.


I usually put it over rice (sorry Ry) to stretch it. Voila.

4 comments:

livinginthemidwest said...

My mom has this same recipe. It is so yummy. I actually cook it with the brown rice on the bottom and then add the chicken and brocolli stuff on top. I like it because it's a meal all in one. Also if you use the healthy choice cream of chicken it doesn't have any MSG in it (less sodium).

Ryan said...

Wow! Thanks, Karen. I'm so excited to try this one out. And guess what I just saw at the grocery store tonight for the first time ever! Mayo made w/ olive oil! It's like 1/2 the fat of regular mayo. Now I can't claim how good it is since I haven't tried it, but I'm planning to get that kind when our current tub (yes, it's rather large) runs out.
Oh, and I love that you posted a picture of the leftovers! Good stuff!

Ryan said...

Well, I tried this one on Ken last night, and he loved it. He has a huge Tupperware container full for dinner at the station tonight. I wasn't sure what he'd think since I haven't ever made anything w/ curry for him, but he really liked it. Looks like I have a new dish to add to the rotation. : )

Jess said...

I have never had cream of child and wild rice before - it sounds interesting!:) I know it was a typo but it struck my funny bone - so I had to point it out - for others to have a chuck(le) too.