Monday, February 11, 2008

Chicken cacciatore and cracked pepper cheddar muffins



This is not what I have in mind when I think of chk cacciatore but it's my sister-in-law's recipe and this is what she calls it. This is a very easy and delicious recipe.

2 potatoes (I use sweet since they metabolize as a protein instead of as a carb, and my hubby has blood sugar issues)
2 pieces of chicken
2 carrots (the big kind)
1 green pepper
1 onion
garlic powder and oregano to taste
1 cup of white wine
1 can of diced tomatoes (Walmart has organic for not much more than non-organic)
(you can get the tomatoes with oregano and not have to sprinkle the oregano yourself)

I cut the carrots up into sticks and put them in a pile in the middle of a 9 x 13 pan. Then I cut up the potatoes and place them all around the edges of the pan. Cut onion and green pepper and put it around the edges too. Sprinkle with garlic powder and oregano. Put cut-up, raw chicken on top of carrots in the middle of the pan. Sprinkle the tomatoes all over the casserole and pour white wine in as well. Cook on 400 for 20 minutes and then turn down to 350 for 50 min.
Serves 6. Serves 3 if you are married to Ken.

Muffins
2 cups flour (I use half unbleached white and half wheat)
1 tbls sugar (turbinado works fine)
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp coarse ground pepper
1 egg
1 1/4 cup milk
2 tbls veggie oil (I use applesauce in all of my baked goods that call for oil- even non-sweet baked goods. I wasn't sure how it would work but I even use it in my cornbread and it's great!)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Combine all dry ingredients in one bowl. Then wet ingredients in another. Combine and fold in cheese. Fill greased muffin cups 2/3 way full. Bake at 375 for 25-30 min. Makes a dozen.

4 comments:

Ryan said...

So are they sweet or salty? Just wondering what to expect when I bite into one--'cause it's all about what you're expecting (at least for me anyway). : )

Tabitha said...

This all sounds delish!! And it sounds really healthy too. I'm loving this blog! :)
One question... when you add applesauce instead of oil ... do you substitute the same amount of applesauce as the oil required?

Joc said...

I laughed out loud at the Ken comment. You're hilarious, Shanna. Oh, and this chicken dish sounds scrum-did-le-umptious. I'll be trying it very soon. Especially since it's ingredients I usually have on hand!

shanna said...

Ryan, the muffins are more salty. I used all white flour in them tonight and they were pretty darn good. Probably better than with half wheat. Just not better for us :)
Tab, you use the same amount of applesauce (which makes it easy).