Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Tator Tot Casserole

Here's a REALLY easy recipe that you can make quickly when you forgot to make something or are short on time (however, I may be the only one that considers tator tots a staple!). This recipe usually feeds me and Gerald with a little for Roger and enough for one person's lunch - so 3 1/2 people I guess. It's nothin' fancy, but like I said, it's really easy and good in a pinch.

1 lb ground beef, cooked and drained
2 tbsp flour
1 cup beef broth
1 can vegetables (green beans, corn, etc.)
some chesse to sprinkle
enough tator tots to cover the top of it all

Add broth and flour together in a pan ( I do it in the pan that I cooked the hamburger in) and whisk until smooth. Allow it to heat until it boils, stir constantly for about a minute or until it thickens a little. Add the hamburger meat and stir. Then take a casserole dish (I think mine is 2 quarts) and layer that on the bottom. Drain the vegetables and layer them on top. Sprinkle some cheese over top then layer tator tots in a single layer on top. Bake at 400 for maybe 20-30 minutes, basically until the tator tots are brown.

3 comments:

Jess said...

Thank you! I am becoming the queen of quick and easy these days - being back at work is draining so I need all the easy recipes I can get. We will try this one soon!

livinginthemidwest said...

Is this the Duggar family recipe? (the family with 17 or 18 kids) I remember them talking about their famous tator tot casserole.

Collins said...

I hadn't heard about the Duggar family's famous recipe! That's hilarious. No, I don't remember where I got this from. It might have been from the kraftfoods.com website b/c it did call for a can of cream of mushroom instead of the flour and broth...I would probably make it once a week if I had 17 kids though!