Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Pesto Ravioli with Chicken


Jason announced last night that this is his favorite meal that I make...and if you knew how picky Jason is about food, you would know that really means a lot. People always ask for this recipe when I make it...so thanks to Betty Crocker Easy Weeknight Meals. And it's quick and easy to make...another plus.
  • 2 t olive oil
  • 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast strips (about 2 chicken breasts)
  • 3/4 cup chicken broth
  • 1 package refrigerated cheese-filled ravioli (I use spinach or mushroom)
  • 2 small zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch slices
  • 1/4 cup basil pesto
  • Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, if desired (I think this ingredient is necessary unless you just don't like Parmesan)
  • *it also calls for a sliced red bell pepper but because we aren't fans I have never put one in.
Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat and cook chicken about 4 minutes until brown. Remove chicken from skillet. Add broth and ravioli and heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 4 minutes or until ravioli is tender. Stir in zucchini (and bell pepper if you are adding it) and chicken into ravioli. Cook over medium-high heat about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are crisp-tender. Toss with pesto. Sprinkle with cheese. About 4 servings.

7 comments:

Collins said...

Sounds really good! Do you use store bought pesto or make it or what? I've never made anything that has it b/c I don't know what to get. Thanks!

Ryan said...

Hey Karen, there's this pesto in the pasta/sauce section of the grocery store that's pretty good. It's in a jar about half the size of a regular sauce jar. I think it might be by Bertolli or something like that. We get it to put on pizzas and it's really good--lots of flavor!

Joc said...

Or Karen, you can come raid my freezer for some homemade pesto. I've got some from last fall that I'd love to give you. Cause once our Basil gets going again, I'll have a whole new stash. :)

Oh, and this sounds so so good. When the hubby gets back from California, I'm gonna try this one on him. Thanks, Erin!

shanna said...

Hey, I'd love to get in on the homemade pesto when I see you Joc. Is that offer up for anyone? How did you make it? The store-bought stuff is good, but I haven't found it w/o hydrogenated oils.

Joc said...

Sure Shanna! I'll bring you some next time I see you! I used extra virgin olive oil in mine, which I don't think is the hydrogenated stuff. :0)

I'll post my 'recipe' later on!

livinginthemidwest said...

I'd love the recipe too, Joc. My basil plant is loaded with leaves and I've been wanting to find a recipe to make my own pesto...and good to know that you can freeze it too. I thought maybe I would have to do the whole canning thing.

Jess said...

Ok - so I made this for the first time last night for my sister and her husband and it was a big hit. Everyone loved it and there was even enough for lunch leftovers.