Monday, March 31, 2008

Basil Pesto

This makes about 3/4 cup of pesto.

3 garlic cloves (I sometimes toast it!)
2 cups packed fresh basil
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
salt and pepper

Blend first 5 ingredients together in a food processor until smooth. Salt and pepper to taste.

(You can substitute walnuts or almonds for the pine nuts if you can't find them.  And to toast the nuts, just place them in a stainless skillet over med heat just until they start to brown. Usually just a few minutes.  Be very careful not to burn them. But it IS an important step!)

To freeze: I usually add a little bit less oil, and put it into my containers, then cover with a thin layer of oil and then plastic wrap.  Then straight to the freezer. When I want to use it, I'll add a little bit more olive oil just to loosen it up.  

I have some friends who make tons of pesto every summer, and she freezes it in ice cube trays, then when they're hard, puts them into a ziploc bag.  I just put mine in small disposable tupperware containers.

I've heard people say not to freeze it with the parmesan cheese in it, but I've never had any issues.  

5 comments:

livinginthemidwest said...

Thanks for posting the recipe. My basil plant has tons of leaves. I am excited to try this especially knowing you can freeze it.

Collins said...

This sounds like a lot of work for only 3/4 of a cup - is it worth it? I just planted some basil seeds for the first time in my life so I'm a ways off from having 2 cups of fresh basil! It's sounds delicious though...

Joc said...

Karen, it's actually SO easy. I always add too many comments at the end and make it sound complicated. Oops.

Forget all my tips- Just throw it all in the blender or food processor and enjoy! Even if you don't toast the nuts or the garlic. It just adds a nuttier flavor if you do.

livinginthemidwest said...

I just made some. It was actually very easy. Can't wait to use it for dinner this week.

shanna said...

I'm definitely going to try this recipe after I go to the grocery again. I don't have all the stuff right now. But, if you have extra Joc, will you bring it on Thurs. if you can come? Then, I can make Erin's ravioli on Friday!