Sunday, March 9, 2008

Red beans and rice

This is another recipe I got from my sister's MIL. It was a BIG hit at our house - it is really easy, inexpensive, and makes plenty.

2 tbs. olive oil
1 lb. Eckrich smoked sausage - I got the skinless kind (cut in 1/2" pieces)
1 sm. onion chopped
4 cloves garlic chopped
3 cans kidney beans (don't drain)
1 can chicken broth
1 tsp. cajun seasoning (Sarah said her MIL bought her some that is called "smack your mama" or something like that - but I couldn't find it at Wal-Mart - I will keep my eyes out for it - she says it makes all the difference - but I used a different kind and it was still very good.)
3 cups cooked rice

Heat oil. Add sausage, onion, and garlic. Saute for 15 min. Mix in beans with juices, broth and cajun seasoning. Reduce heat - cover and simmer 45 min. Spoon over rice. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Joc said...

Ooh, I'm excited to try to the red beans and rice. The kind I usually make has tons of vegetables in it and so it takes FOREVER to chop everything up. This sounds really simple and flavorful!

Tabitha said...

I just love the "smack your mama" spice name! SO FUNNY ... I was cracking up over that for a little bit!

Collins said...

This sounds delicioso! In fact I want some right now - have any leftovers?