Thursday, March 20, 2008

Mexican Polenta Pie



This is great as a meal or an appetizer and chips. It is a favorite in our house.

1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 T olive oil
1 lb. uncooked ground turkey
3 T chili powder (I use 2 because we are wimps)
1 T ground cumin
1/4 t cayenne pepper or less
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup bottled salsa
2 tubes refrigerated, cooked polenta (I use only one)
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
2/3 cup chopped fresh tomato
1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro

Cook onion and garlic in 1 T hot oil until tender. Add turkey, chili powder, cumin and cayenne. Cook until turkey is no longer pink. Add beans, undrained tomatoes and salsa. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer gently 15 minutes. Meanwhile, grease a 3-quart baking dish with the remaining 1 T oil. Cut tube of polenta into 1/4 slices; press half of the slices into prepared dish. Set the other slices aside. Sprinkle 1 cup of the cheese over polenta in dish. Top with meat mixture. Arrange other slices of polenta over meat; sprinkle with remaining cheese and fresh tomato. Bake, uncovered, for 35 minutes (or until bubbly) at 375 degrees. Sprinkle with cilantro. Let stand for 15 or 20 minutes before serving.

3 comments:

Ryan said...

Wow--this sounds really good. But I have to say that I've never heard of polenta. I don't think I'd even know where to look for it in the grocery store. I clicked on the picture you included and noticed that it said something about it being a substitute for pasta, bread or rice. Sounds interesting. We'll have to try this one if I can figure out where to get polenta.

livinginthemidwest said...

I found it at Winn-Dixie when we lived there. It was in the organic section but you don't have to necessarily get oraganic...that's just where I found it. It's corn meal by the way and super yummy.

Joc said...

I love polenta! Can't wait for summery weather so I can make this.