Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Cream Cheese-Banana-Nut Bread


I found a Banana Nut bread recipe that my sister gave me that doesn't have shortening. It has a few extra steps than my grandma's recipe but it is oh, so yummy. Maybe I can substitute shortening for cream cheese in my grandma's recipe?

3/4 cup butter, softened
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
3 cups flour (1 1/4 cup white flour, 1 1/4 cup wheat and 1/2 cup ground flax seed is my version)
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (about 4)
1/2 t. vanilla extract

Beat together butter and cream cheese. Add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; gradually add to butter mixture, beating at low speed until blended. Stir in bananas and vanilla. Spoon batter into 2 greased and floured loafpans. (I did one loaf pan and 24 muffins) Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour (15-20 for muffins) or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool bread for 30 minutes before slicing.
*some topping suggestions for this recipe were orange-pecan, toasted-coconut, cinnamon-crisp and peanut butter streusel. If you're interested let me know and I'll put the recipe here.

3 comments:

Joc said...

I've got a freezer full of ripened bananas, and I think this just might be the recipe to try them on. Cream cheese mufffins! This sounds like a match made in heaven. :) And I'd love the cinnamon crisp topping recipe...

livinginthemidwest said...

Cinnamon crisp topping.......
Stir together 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup chopped/toasted pecans, 1 T melted butter, 1 T flour and 1/8 t. ground cinnamon. Sprinkle over batter in pan and bake.

Joc said...

Thanks Erin, you rock! Of course, I'll probably leave out the pecans. :)