Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Sourdough Bread

Starter:
3/4 cups sugar
3 Tbs instant potato flakes
1 pkg active dry yeast
1 cup warm water (120-130 degrees)

Mix first 3 ingredients together, then stir in warm water.  Cover with plastic wrap; pierce wrap 4 or 5 times with point of sharp knife. Refrigerate 3 to 5 days.

Starter food:
3/4 cup sugar
3 Tbs instant potato flakes
1 cup warm water (120-130 degrees)

To make bread:
Remove starter from fridge and let stand at room temperature 1 hour. Stir well. Remove 1 cup starter to make bread, 'feed' the remaining starter -let stand 8-12 hours. Cover with pierced plastic wrap, refrigerate 3 to 5 days.  Repeat up to 3 times.

Bread:
1 cup starter
6 cups bread flour
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 Tbs salt
1- 1 1/2 cups warm water

Combine all ingredients together. Cover and let rise 6-12 hours.  
Shape and place into greased pans.  (3 loaves)  Cover and let rise 6-12 hours.

Bake at 375, 30-40 minutes.  

Tips: 
*When I make the starter like this, it rises the best for the first batch of bread. If you want to make it 2 more times, add 1 tsp yeast to the warm water when mixing the bread.  (let it sit in the water a few minutes to let it start reacting)
*When I cover it to let it rise, I spray Pam on some plastic wrap, and put it on the dough,  just to prevent sticking, then cover it with a towel
*I usually let it rise longer than 6 hours each time.  I'll mix up the dough in the morning, shape it in the evening, bake it the next morning.  
*I cover the bread loosely with foil for the first 20 minutes of baking to avoid too much browning on top.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What are potato flakes and where do I find them?

Joc said...

They are just instant mashed potato flakes. I usually just buy the walmart brand. I don't remember exactly where they are, but I think they're maybe with boxed meals (like hamburger helper, etc) or down the baking aisle. Anyone else remember where to find them?