Monday, August 11, 2008

Schreur's Canned Salsa


This is Barb Schreur's salsa recipe. She used to bring over a bunch of fresh veggies from her garden and we would make this yummy salsa. She also taught me how to can it too. I love this salsa and haven't had it since we lived in Chattanooga because I haven't had a garden full of these fresh veggies. It's a fairly mild salsa but I'm sure you could kick up the spice by adding a little more jalapeno peppers or decrease the sugar. I think the quantity depends on the size of your produce but it's kind of a flexible recipe, so add as much fresh veggies as you want.
Barb's Salsa
2-4 green peppers chopped (I used 3)
3 qts. chopped tomatoes
3-4 chopped jalapeno peppers (I used 3)
2-4 onions chopped (I used 2)
1 T. salt
1/2 c. sugar
1 c vinegar
3 small cans of tomato paste
1/2 t. cumin
2 t. dried cilantro
Cook for 45 min. to 1 hour. Put in jars and seal. I think it made about 8 pint size jars.

6 comments:

Joc said...

Thanks Erin! I'll be making this TONIGHT - I gotta reclaim my counter top. :0

Joc said...

It's cookin' on my stove right now. And my house smells amazing. I'll taste test it and let all you cats know how good it is... which I'm sure it will be. :)

Joc said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joc said...

Mmmm. It is SO good!

Anonymous said...

I love the play-by-play comments! :) And I definitely want to try this - sounds so good!

livinginthemidwest said...

I wish I could come over and eat some salsa with you. My mouth waters just thinking about Barb's salsa.