Saturday, August 16, 2008

Classic Pot Pie


This recipe is actually from the Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust box. It was one that my mom used and now I use with my own family. It is really easy and oh so yummy! But because I'm trying to stay away from hydrogenated oils, I did make my own crust (which I hate doing but this was a fairly easy recipe and actually really tasty). So I will include that recipe at the end.

Filling
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup flour
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
2 1/2 to 3 shredded cooked chicken or turkey
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed


Heat oven to 425 F. Prepare pie crusts. Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook 2 minutes or until tender. Add flour, salt and pepper; stir until well blended. Gradually stir in broth and milk, cooking and stirring until bubbly and thickened. Add chicken and mixed vegetables; mix well. Remove from heat. Spoon mixture into crust-lined pan. Top with second crust; seal edges and flute. Cut slits in several places in top of crust. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.


Pie Crust
2 cups flour
1/2 t. salt
1/2 cup oil
5 T cold water


Mix flour and salt. Add water to oil. Don't stir, add oil mixture to flour all at once, then mix with fork. Roll out between waxed papers. This crust can be made in 3 to 5 minutes, including rolling it out.

3 comments:

Joc said...

I make a pie crust very similar to that and it's so easy and tasty. Sometimes when I use it to make sweet pies I add a little sugar to it too! Thanks for posting this. It sounds so easy and good!

shanna said...

Erin, what kind of oil do you use?

livinginthemidwest said...

I used vegetable oil. But I'm sure you could use canola. I think olive might be too heavy but I'm not an expert. Let me know if you use another oil and how it turns out.