Monday, August 18, 2008

Barefoot Contessa's Asian Grilled Salmon

Wow, I haven't done this in a while! Here's a great recipe I saw Ina make on her show over this last month that I haven't had to cook (since we've had meals brought to us every other night!). I was collecting ideas of things I wanted to make once I had to start cooking again...and this one was a hit! It's so easy and SO good!

1 side fresh salmon, boned but skin on (about 3 pounds)
2 tbs. Dijon mustard
3 tbs. good soy sauce
6 tbs. good olive oil (I hope Great Value brand counts as "good"!)
1/2 tsp. minced garlic

Light grill and brush the grilling rack with oil to keep the salmon from sticking.

While the grill is heating, lay the salmon skin side down on a cutting board and cut it crosswise into 4 equal pieces. Whisk together the mustard, soy sauce, olive oil, and garlic in a small bowl. Drizzle half of the marinade onto the salmon and allow it to sit for 10 minutes.

Place the salmon skin side down on the hot grill; discard the marinade the fish was sitting in. Grill for 4-5 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish. Turn carefully with a wide spatula and grill for another 4-5 minutes. The salmon will be slightly raw in teh center, but don't worry; it will keep cooking as it sits.

Transfer the fish to a flat plate, skin side down, and spoon the reserved marinade on top. Allow the fish to rest for 10 minutes. Remove the skin and serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled.

6 comments:

Joc said...

Ina's my favorite!

Whenever she's on, Matthew walks through and says, "Is she IN A GARDEN?" So funny every time...:)

livinginthemidwest said...

This sounds good. We are big salmon eaters in our family. Is it real mustardy? I like mustard but unfortunately the picky eater (Jason) in our family does not. But if it's not a strong flavor he will eat it.

Anonymous said...

Erin, it's really not that mustardy. I thought the main flavor was the soy sauce. And Aaron (our picky eater) doesn't like mustard either, and he LOVED this! If you have any other great ways to prepare salmon, let me know. We want to try to eat more of it around here, but this is our only recipe right now!

Ryan said...

Wow! This sounds really good! I love salmon too.
One way I fix salmon is by just sprinkling some of that Emeril's Essence seasoning on it--you can buy that in the grocery store in the spice section. And then I broil it or grill it.
And I think I posted a salmon recipe on this blog a while back too, so that's another idea.

livinginthemidwest said...

Lisa,
I always marinate our salmon in a sauce they only sell here called Korean Bar-B-Q sauce. It's more like a tariyaki sauce with sesame seeds, not Bar-B-Q like you would think. So it will be nice to try something different for a change.

Ryan said...

I made this tonight, and it was so good. I think this is one of Ken's new favorites. He commented over and over about how great it was.
And I followed the directions about grilling for 5 min on each side and the letting it sit for 10 minutes, and it turned out so moist!
Thanks, Lisa, for the recipe.