Wednesday, May 7, 2008

grilled bananas

This recipe is a new-found personal favorite of mine. I'm not sure when this started, but I now have this very bad habit of needing something sweet after dinner. I have found that I often end up making a dessert when I'm home to cook, especially during the school year since homemade meals were somewhat rare, and I wanted to go all out. So I've been on a hunt for healthy-ish dessert options. My work friend Yvonne introduced me to this little gem. So good, so easy, and not too bad for you....

4 bananas (or however many you want to make)
1 tbs veggie oil
1 tbs butter
3 tbs honey (the recipe calls for molasses, but I'm just not a fan)

Slice bananas length-wise in the peel. Brush both sides w/ oil to prevent them from sticking to the grill. Place on grill banana-side-down first for 3-4 minutes. Turn over and grill for another 4-5 minutes. (My grill said the heat was about 350 degrees.) Melt butter and honey together in the microwave. Remove bananas from the grill and drizzle honey mixture over them. I served them in the peel, and we just scooped them out as we went. This will sound weird, but they were so juicy!

5 comments:

Joc said...

This reminds me of that baked banana thing I used to make when we lived together. Do you remember it? It had raisins, though, and a brown sugar mixture that it gets baked with. But I bet M would like this a lot, and as long as he gets to use fire, hooray!

Ryan said...

I do remember that baked banana thing. I thought of that when Yvonne mentioned this recipe. I've thought about calling you for your recipe a couple times, but I never have raisins on hand.
Your recipe was really good, which is why I figured I'd like this one--since they're similar. I always love grill recipes though b/c there's usually very little clean-up.

livinginthemidwest said...

Are the bananas mushy?

Ryan said...

Hmmm...not really, but then they're bananas, so kind of. They're soft, but not mushy (if that makes sense). Try 'em! You'll like 'em! : ) Jason probably won't though--I seem to remember he doesn't like warm fruit. That was Jason, right?

Joc said...

Hey, we made these on Saturday. They were really good! We added a little rum to them too, that was tasty as well...