Friday, April 24, 2009

Harvest Bread

This was another recipe from my freezer meals book but I didn't freeze it. It's a very hearty sweet bread which is yummy for breakfast...even with the chocolate chips. Plus it has a little veggie and fruit in it...a meal all in one. :o)
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup egg substitute (or 3 eggs)
  • 1/3 can of pumpkin (I just read this and realized I put the whole can in and it was still really good and very moist)
  • 1 banana
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk (or I used milk)
  • 1 cup flour
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour (I didn't have this on hand so I used about 1/2 cup flax seed)
  • 1 t. baking soda
  • 1 t. cinnamon
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 1/2 t. ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 t. ground ginger
  • 1/4 t. ground cloves
  • 3/4 cup chocolate chips (I never thought I would say this but a few less would be better)
  • 1/2 walnuts, chopped

Spray loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. In a bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg substitute, pumpkin, banana, and buttermilk. Add the flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves; mix until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts. Pour into prepared pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 1 hour and 5-10 minutes, until golden brown and the bread springs back when pressed.

2 comments:

Collins said...

This sounds GREAT! Thanks for posting all these wonderful recipes lately!

Collins said...

Roger and I made this together today and it was really really good - we had some dark chocolate chips and they were so good in there - good suggestion on a little less than 3/4 cup. Thanks again!