Thursday, April 8, 2010

Maple Butternut Squash




My mom gave me this recipe when I told her I was having trouble coming up w/ side dish options. It is really good! I tweaked it a bit, so the proportions vary each time I make it.

1 butternut squash
2-3 tbs olive oil
1/4 cup maple syrup
craisins (I like enough so there's craisin in every bite)
chopped walnuts (toasted)
salt and pepper

Pre-heat oven to 400. Peel the outer skin off the butternut squash, and then cut it into 1/2 inch chunks. Put squash on baking pan--jelly roll style w/ the edges. Drizzle with olive oil and maple syrup. Sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper. Bake for 15 minutes. Add craisins and bake for 5 more minutes. While this is baking, I toast the walnuts in our toaster oven. You can toast them in the oven while the squash is baking though. Remove squash from oven and stir in walnuts. (I usually drizzle just a little bit more maple syrup on it b/c I like the flavor that adds.) I think it's really good reheated the next day too--which is good since this recipe makes a lot.


1 comment:

livinginthemidwest said...

Yum that looks so yummy! Not sure if Jason would go for it but I think I will try it anyway. Thanks for posting it!