Thursday, April 8, 2010

Cowboy Caviar


A friend of mine made this for a party she had and I had to get the recipe from her because it was so delicious! You serve it as an appetizer (or as we say here in Hawaii a "pu-pu") with chips. My friend even said she puts it on top of lettuce and eats it as a salad too. I think I will try that next!

15 oz. can of shoepeg corn (it was $3 a can here so I used regular corn)
15 oz. can of black eyed peas (they only had them with chile's so I used froze ones)
2/3 cup cilantro
2/3 cup green onions, chopped
1-2 avocados cubed
1/2 cup tomatoes, chopped

Dressing:
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 t. salt
1 t. cumin

Mix all veggies together except avocados and tomatoes. Mix dressing ingredients together and then toss with veggie mix. Marinate for 2-3 hours before serving. About 1/2 hour before you serve it add the avocados and tomatoes so they don't get soggy.

3 comments:

Ryan said...

Yum! That sounds great! Anything w/ avocados has my approval.

Jess said...

that sounds like texas caviar! We eat it at about every team planning at school! Yum!

Ryan said...

I made this recipe the other day, minus the cilantro (b/c I forgot to get it at the store). It was good, but I think the cilantro would have made it wonderful--I really like cilantro! We'll have to try this again when I can remember to get all the ingredients.