Saturday, November 15, 2008

Homemade Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup


This may not interest all of you on the mainland because Cream of Chicken soup probably isn't as expensive as it is here ($2.00 a can). But I also thought the flavor of this was sooo good. Plus it doesn't have MSG and other additives/preservatives. Anyway I have a few casserole or chicken recipes that call for Cream of Chicken Soup and this was really easy to make.

Yield:
3 cups (about 2 cans)

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt (or less; taste to test)
1/4 teaspoon parsley
dash of paprika
1 1/2 cups milk
3/4 cup flour

Instructions:
1. In medium-sized saucepan, boil chicken broth, 1/2 cup of the milk, and the seasonings for a minute or two (longer if using fresh onions or garlic).

2. In a bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 cup of milk and flour. Add to boiling mixture and continue whisking briskly until mixture boils and thickens.

4 comments:

Joc said...

This is awesome! I always have these ingredients on hand, but I don't always have the actual soup. And I like that I can make this with my homemade chicken stock that I always have in the freezer, and my own dried parsley.

And no, our soup isn't quite that high. Walmart is about a dollar, sometimes less.

shanna said...

Thanks Erin! I'm always looking for things I could make here instead of buying canned (which isn't as good for us).
S

Collins said...

This looks great! Thanks for posting it

Tabitha said...

Thanks, Erin!! I will pass this recipe onto my friend, Carly, as she & her family are heading over to Japan next year. We've talked several times about what she's going to do regarding all those easy recipes that take cream of chicken soup which they don't have there. Now we have the perfect answer!! :)