Saturday, November 22, 2008

Butternut Squash Soup with Herbs


I'm rather picky about my butternut squash soup. Most of the kinds I've tasted are either too sweet or too thick or taste like cream of chicken soup. But this one is the perfect amount of savory, with a hint of sweet from the squash and cream. It does take a little while to chop up all the butternut, but this is so much better than any kind you buy.

(fyi, 1 large butternut yielded a little over 6 cups, and I usually just make a half a batch for M and I)

4 Tbs. butter
1 cup chopped onion
4 garlic cloves, minced (bottled is fine)
3 (14.5 oz) cans of chicken broth
8 cups peeled butternut squash, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. dried rubbed sage
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 cup heavy cream

Melt butter in large pot over medium heat. Saute onions and garlic in butter until soft. Add chicken broth and squash, and simmer until squash is very tender. A fork should go through easily.
Let cool slightly. Use immersion blender and puree soup in the pot. Alternatively, puree soup in blender and return to pot. If soup seems too thick, add a little more chicken broth.
Add herbs, sugar, salt, and cream.
Can be made one day ahead. Chill. Rewarm over medium heat before serving.


2 comments:

livinginthemidwest said...

I've never had butternut squash soup but I have always wanted to try it. And I just saw at our Costco that they were selling a bag of cup of butternut squash for a not too bad price. I think I may have to try this. Do you think my picky eater husband would like it?

Joc said...

Hmmm. Don't know if he'd like it. Mine sure does. But it is pureed, so that helps with picky eaters. :)