Friday, November 7, 2008

Cheeseburger Soup

Hey Girls,
It's been awhile, but today is my last day working so I should have lots of time to post! Got any great money saving recipes?! I know there are lots on here and I'm ready to leaf through some of the oldies but goodies. This soup may not look like much, but I am telling you it is deliciouso. I've thought about swapping out the ground sirloin for chunks of ham or sausage so let me know if anyone tries it that way, I'd be curious to know how it turns out. Here it is:

1 lb. ground sirloin
1 tbsp plus 3 tbsp butter
1 stalk celery, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 sm. onion, diced
basil, parsley, salt and pepper (to taste)
32 oz. chicken broth
3 cups frozen cubed hashbrowns (walmart brand works great)
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cups whole milk
8 oz. Velveeta cheese, diced
garnish with sour cream and your favorite shredded cheese

Brown and drain ground sirloin. Saute 1 tbsp butter with diced veggies. Add fresh basil, parsley, salt and pepper. Add all veggies to cooked meat. Add broth and potatoes to mixture. Cook until potatoes are very soft. While potatoes are cooking, melt 3 tbsp butter. Whisk in flour until paste forms. Add to soup, stir and cook 5 more minutes. Once soup thickens a bit, add milk and Velveeta cheese. Cook on low heat until cheese melts. Remove from heat and it's ready to go. Enjoy!

6 comments:

livinginthemidwest said...

This sounds really good Karen. Have you ever used cheddar cheese instead of Velvetta before? I will have to try this one soon. I love recipes that have ingredients that you would have around the house.

Joc said...

ooh. my mom used to make a soup with velveeta in it. this sounds really good! I made french onion last weekend, as well as the pumpkin donuts. Wonderful!

livinginthemidwest said...

Karen,

I just made this soup tonight and I did put ham in it instead of hamburger. It was really yummy! I also just put regular cheese instead of velveeta (because it's what I had on hand). It was a big hit here. Thanks for the recipe.

Collins said...

Good to know you can use regular cheese b/c velveeta isn't something I get unless I need it for something. So, did you use cheddar and how much?

livinginthemidwest said...

I actually only had Monterery Jack on hand so that is what I used. I bet cheddar would be really good too.

livinginthemidwest said...

Oh and I used the 8 ounces that it called for Velveeta. Or at least guessed what 8 ounces was.