Monday, October 13, 2008

Pumpkin-Spice Doughnuts

A friend of mine got me a subscription to Cuisine at Home and I saw this recipe in it. Since fall is my favorite season and there are no signs of it here, I like trying things like this that helps put me in the fall mode. These were so tasty! A little time consuming but so worth it. Plus if you're going to eat doughnuts, why not make them a little healthy.

1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 cup canned pumpkin (I put the whole can in)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 T butter, melted
4 t. baking powder
2 t. pumpkin pie spice
1 t. salt
1/2 t. baking soda
3 cups all-purpose flour
vegetable oil

Whisk egg and yolk together in large bowl until frothy. Add pumpkin, sugar, buttermilk, brown sugar and butter; whisk until combined. Stir in baking powder, pie spice, salt and soda. Fold flour in gradually until sticky dough forms. Cover in plastic wrap and freeze 15 minutes. Meanwhile, heat oil in pan over medium heat. Pat out dough on floured surface to 1/2 inch thick. Cut out doughnuts, dipped in flour. Fry doughnuts and holes in oil until browned, about 3 minutes, turning once. Drain on a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Finish with sugar or glaze (I did the glaze on the doughnuts and the cinnamon sugar on the holes).

Apple Cider Glaze

1/4 cup apple cider (or juice)
pinch of salt
3 cups powdered sugar

Heat juice and salt in small saucepan over low until hot. Whisk in powdered sugar until smooth. Dip one side of cooled doughnut in glaze and let stand about 5 minutes on wire rack.

Cinnamon Sugar

1 cup sugar
1 t. ground cinnamon

Toss doughnuts in bag with cinnamon sugar to coat (when they are still hot).

4 comments:

Ryan said...

Mmmm...these look good! A couple questions for you: first, how many donuts did the recipe make? and second, how much oil did you use--were they submerged or did it just come up part way on the sides in a frying pan type thing?

livinginthemidwest said...

It said 2 inches of oil but I did about 1/2 inch to 1 inch of oil. As you fry them you have to keep adding to it also. So as long as the oil comes half way up the doughnut, then when you flip it over it fries the other half. And the recipe said it made 18 doughnuts. I think mine made a few more because I made the doughnuts smaller than they did (I used an upside down cup to cut out the circles rather than a doughnut cutter). But I just gave a few away to our neighbors so it ended up being a good amount. So between the boys and I (Jason wouldn't eat them) we ate 2 each for breakfast, and then a couple more for a snack later in the day. :o) They weren't as great the next morning but my boys still ate them for breakfast the next day.

Joc said...

Oh my lands. I get sick for a few days and then this lovely recipe pops up when I check the blog. And I KNEW it had to be from Erin. I am SO trying these next time M is home on a weekend. That'll be November, of course, but these will be so good.
Oh my lands.

shanna said...

Yeah, I'll have to agree. I need to try these. Thanks for posting Erin.