Thursday, September 11, 2008

Easy Cheesy Stuffed Chicken


This is actually from a Kraft Foods magazine that I would get free in the mail (not sure if they still send these). But these magazines usually had some good easy recipes. If you want to check it out and see if they still send the magazines by mail for free, check out their website kraftfoods.com. Anyway I hadn't made these in a while and forgot how easy and yummy these were...plus they look fancy. The picture is actually from the magazine...my chicken didn't look as pretty.

2 T butter
2 medium zucchini, shredded (about 2 cups)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 pkg. stuffing mix for chicken
1 cup shredded cheese blend (I use cheddar or whatever cheese is in the frig.)
2 pkg. chicken quarters (about 2 1/2 lb. each)
3/4 cup of your favorite barbecue sauce


Heat oven to 400 degrees. Melt butter over medium heat in saucepan. Add zucchini and onion; cook and stir for 2 min. or until tender. Remove from heat. Stir in stuffing mix and cheese until well blended. Carefully insert fingers between meat and skin of each chicken quarter to form a pocket. Fill pockets evenly with stuffing mixture. Place, skin side up, in roasting pan. Bake 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Brush with barbecue sauce and bake an additional 5-10 minutes.

2 comments:

Joc said...

ooh. that's sounds really good. And we love us some chicken quarters 'round our house.
Is there a special stuffing mix for chicken? I don't know that I've ever bought it so I don't know about it...

livinginthemidwest said...

I use the Stove Top off-brand version because that is all they sell here....because it is only $3.50 a box rather than $4.00 for the name brand. I wish I could make my own because it would probably be less salty. But there are low sodium ones too.