Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Did you know?

Did you know you can cook a whole chicken in a crock pot and get the same kind of goodness that a store bought rotisserie chicken offers? Well... it's true! My mom said that many of her friends in New Zealand cook their chicken this way and I thought I'd give it a shot.

It was SO EASY! All I did was buy a whole chicken, put it in the crock pot, sprinkled on some salt and dried basil, added 1/8 of a cup of water (which I'm not sure was really needed) and turned it on HIGH. Three hours later I had a completely cooked chicken that I can make several meals from. It was SO moist and had soaked up the flavor of the salt & basil perfectly! And a plus for the summer time ... there was no heat pouring from my oven! Hooray for crock pots!

My mom also suggested dividing the chicken pieces up into measured amounts (2 cups, 4 cups, etc) and freezing them for later casseroles/recipes that call for cooked chicken.

Thanks to my mom for a money-saver, time-saver, heat-free tip! :)

5 comments:

livinginthemidwest said...

Great tip! Thanks Tab! Does the meat fall off the bone too?

Collins said...

That sounds delicious! I'm going to try that very very soon.

Tabitha said...

The meat does fall of the bones just like a rotisserie chicken. It's great!

shanna said...

Ooh. Thanks for the tip! Sounds great.

Jess said...

I love that idea!