Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Macaroni 'n Cheese (with Butternut Squash)

So here's a recipe that I tweaked from "Deceptively Delicious". My kids (and those that I watch) ALL loved it and had seconds (which is HUGE since Jude is a bit picky at the moment). :) It's a really fast recipe ... takes about 20 mins to make (that is, if you already have the puree ready!)
*All my tweaking is along side the recipe in parentheses.

Macaroni and Cheese (with Butternut Squash OR cauliflower)
1 1/2 c. macaroni
1 Tbsp olive oil (I used butter ... LOVE butter!)
1 Tbsp all purpose flour
1/2 c. skim milk (I used whole milk)
1/2 c. butternut squash OR cauliflower puree
1 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese (I used colby)
4 oz. reduced fat/nonfat cream cheese (I didn't use)
1/2 tsp salt (probably used only about 1/4 tsp)
1/8 tsp paprika (I didn't use)
1/8 tsp pepper (I didn't use)

1. Cook macaroni

2. While macaroni is cooking in med./large saucepan, over medium heat, heat oil (or melt butter), add flour and cook, stirring constantly until mixture resembles a thick paste but has not browned, 1 - 2 mins.

3. Add the milk and cook, stirring every now and then until the mixture begins to thicken, (3-4mins). Add the vegetable puree, cheese, cream cheese and seasonings, and stir until the cheese is melted and sauce is smooth. Stir in macaroni and serve warm.

Serves 4

No comments: