Thursday, October 7, 2010

Chicken Pot Pie

I'm so excited that we can now cook fall comfort foods. Actually, I make this one in summer a little, but it's so much more satisfying in the fall and winter. Ironically I got this from my sister-in-law who is a vegetarian!

1 1/2 - 2 cups celery, chopped
1 1/2 - 2 cups carrots, chopped
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup half & half (I often use whole milk)
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
4 cups (2-3 chick breasts), cooked and shredded
2 basic pie crusts

Saute celery and carrots in butter for 10 minutes or until tender and slightly brown. Remove carrots and celery. Add flour to sauteed butter, stirring well (sometimes I have to add a little more butter here to make the rue). Combine broth and half & half; gradually stir into flour/butter mixture. Bring to a boil; boil for one minute, stirring constantly. Add in salt and pepper. Add chicken and vegetable, stirring well. Pour mixture into pie shell. Cover with top shell and cut slits to allow steam to escape. Bake 40 minutes @400 degrees.

No comments: