Saturday, February 13, 2010

Unfried Chinese Rice

This has recently become a favorite in our home as it's SO easy, healthy and goes well as a side with many Asian flavored main dishes! We have it almost once a week. I found it on Recipezaar.com. Sorry there's no picture for this one!

UNFRIED CHINESE RICE

2 1/2 c uncooked jasmine rice (or you could use brown for an even healthier version)
1/2 c finely diced ham or bacon (I usually leave this out, especially if it's a side dish)
1 1/2c FROZEN peas (yes, leave them frozen ... no need to thaw)
2 eggs, scrambled and chopped
3-4 diced spring/green onions
1/2 - 1 c grated carrots (I added these for color and it's healthier!)
1/4 - 1/3c soy sauce
1/8 tsp ground ginger (I usually grate up fresh ginger)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp ground pepper

1. Cook rice following directions on package or in your rice cooker.
2. While rice is cooking, place all other ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
3. When rice is finished, put hot rice directly on top of other ingredients in the bowl and let sit for 3-5 minutes. Stir well and serve immediately.

** This recipe is a great leftover (and I don't like leftovers!) ... still tastes so fresh the next day!

2 comments:

Joc said...

Hi Tab! I make something like this too! Whenever we have Asian I make extra rice and use it for this later in the week. I've never tried ham, but that sounds good. I always add bacon since it's the main dish when I make it. And garlic is a nice addition too.

livinginthemidwest said...

Jason loves fried rice. I will have to try this one. I never liked to make it before because of all the work it takes. But this one sounds much easier. Thanks Tab for posting this!